Friday 19 February 2016

God Provides our Soldiers

I got moved to a special care ward which was only 3 patients to 1 nurse. What we found with our nurses was that 70% of them were Christians, which is highly rare in this country. At the time I was in hospital there was a ban for ‘religious’ people to share their faith openly with patients, only if consented. These women of God were Holy Spirit filled, baptised in water, speakers of the word and were incredible. It especially touched my mums heart to know that I was in good hands and gave them permission to speak to me, encourage me and build me up when she or my family couldn’t be there. Which was definitely needed at times. Being in a hospital at night isn’t fun, but I had to be brave each night. I found that some nights would be busier than days, patients brought in and out, or little commotions happening here or there, I was living a whole new different lifestyle, one that I had to get used to, but not settle in.

One night when I was sad and feeling lonely a nurse started singing ‘I am cared for by the one who made the universe..’ I just looked at her and started to cry out of my one eye. Little did she know that God so used that song to keep me in peace and put things in perspective that He is the Great Father of nations that takes time to care for each and everyone of us. It was a God orchestrated moment and He knew what I need to be reminded of, to remain steadfast and not to so easily waver in difficult times.

I was doing well and slowly working my way to the door we joked, I would move round from ward to ward getting closer and closer until the next ward was right next to the exit. But that night I could feel that something wasn’t right with my body, it was struggling and all I could do was pray under my breath, I was too weak to try and get anyones attention so I just asked God to do it for me. Not long after nurse Joe came round to do his checks when he noticed I had a high fever, it was 39c when it should be 37c. Quickly the doctors rushed in and started trying to figure out what was going on. I was in and out of consciousness and wasn’t quite sure what was going on either. I just let them figure it out and take care of me. I knew it was serious when they said they had to do a lumbar puncture/spinal tap - I had no idea what that was but I said OK, you can do whatever it takes to figure it out.


I found out a bit later that this was it for my mum. She called our Pastor and just simply said ‘I’m weary, how much more can we take? Is God really for us?’ She couldn’t stand by and watch them put this giant needle in my back extracting fluid. It was too much. Some may say they are valid questions and we all reach this point, but God is always quick to respond and meet us where we are at. After encouraging her and building her up, one of the Christian nurses got my mom's attention and told her to sit down, as my mum recalls it, she leans on her arm rest and starts pointing at her in the face saying ‘Don’t you dare give up! Don’t you dare give up now, I have heard you praying and asking God for a miracle and He will see it through to the end!’

SIDE NOTE: We saw my nurses as soldiers on the front line with us, in the thick of it giving us the support I need both physically and spiritually and for my mum too. It was such a blessing from God to have the support right there in the hospital, at a time when it was almost like walking on eggshells to be open about your faith.  But I don’t want to forget or overlook all the other people that stood with our family in prayer too, our close friends and family and those who are afar, all stood in the gap and upheld us in prayer.  I felt like I had my own 24 hour prayer system going with all the different time zones, God knew what I needed and no matter what time of day it was for me, He would prompt people to pray and I am so ever grateful and thankful for that. This time was so special to me, where I saw how powerful prayer is and how it can make a huge difference and impact despite whatever we may think could hinder it.

Now back to my mum in the chair. She was a little taken back, but that's what she needed, she had to get shaken out of a state of despair and deal with the task that was set before her. She was able then to be in the room with my when they did the LP and a couple of other tests. The infectious disease consultants came and advised that it is suspected meningitis in the brain, but the fluid they took would be able to confirm it.


This meant I was moved back into the special ward, back to the start, further away from the exit.



I was still in a bad state, my neck started to spaz and I couldn’t move it, I had no control over it and I was also profusely sweating, they had to change the pillow case several times. That day our favourite nurse, came in for a visit and was surprised to see my name on the bed list. She came over to where we were, asked no questions and grabbed my mom's hand and prayed for complete total healing. After praying and believing that when two or more are gathered and pray in Jesus’ name He will answer you. Believing that simple truth and taking His word as he says it they then stood there and watched expectantly to see God move.

It took about two hours and then all of a sudden as mum was sitting at the end of my bed, and I was laying with my head to one side, I raised my head - looked to her and started chatting. Now you have to understand that my head was stuck to one side, moving at random times and in awkward ways as I dipped in and out of consciousness, it was uncomfortable but I was awake! I started talking like no time had past (this fever stretched over a period of two days). I was completely better, they tested my temperature and it went down to 36.9c (which is good!).

To completely confirm my healing, the infectious disease consultants came back and said that the fluid in the petri dish never grew or showed any signs of meningitis and that fluid was taken even before we asked God for complete healing! It was incredible! A Miracle!

Now because we are in the world and they don’t necessarily see things from our perspective, the consultants wanted to put me on antibiotics ‘just in case’ it happened again and to completely be sure that I was in the all clear, where in my heart I already knew I was completely healed and there was evidence. Dr M wasn’t too happy but he didn’t overstep his position and trusted their decision. But this started a snowball effect of other situations I had to overcome all because of their ‘just in case’ outlook.

No comments:

Post a Comment